bigwolfoncampus.org | Forum | Big Wolf On Campus | Werewolf makeup?
bigwolfoncampus.org » forum » big wolf on campus » werewolf makeup?

Author   Thread: Werewolf makeup? 
    4-06-2008  8:10 PM  
 Midnight_Wolf
 User

Apr. 6, 2008

I don't know if anyone has talked about this before, but I was wondering what people thought of the evolution of the werewolf makeup throughout the show?

I'm a makeup artist and I like doing effects makeup, so this interested me.

I know they had to change the design from what was used in the pilot because Brandon was allergic to the adhesive, but what about losing the contacts, making him hairier, that kind of thing?

I personally was sad when they got rid of the contacts, eyeliner, and widows peak of Tommy's wig in the third season. Although the contacts weren't really wolf eyes, I thought they made him look more animal-like, and not just a hairy guy.

Any other thoughts?
    4-07-2008  1:46 AM  
 Spooka Lupa
 User

Jun. 13, 2002

Yeah, the third season just made him look like he had out-of-control sideburns.

Sometimes less is more. I liked the first season makeup the best because it was subtle but you could still see the wolf-like qualities. They didn't add much hair, but it was enough. Also, yeah, the contacts did look cooler and gave him more of a supernatural look.

If only they could've fixed Merton's makeup, ha ha.

EDIT:

Also, I'd like to present you with

Exhibit A

vs

Exhibit B
 [edited by Spooka Lupa on 04-07-2008 01:51 AM]
    4-07-2008  2:36 AM  
 Midnight_Wolf
 User

Apr. 6, 2008

Exactly my point. The first season makeup was definately the best. He looked wolfy enough while still looking attractive. I also agree about Merton's wolf makeup - that was just kinda sad.
    4-07-2008  7:57 PM  
 Spooka Lupa
 User

Jun. 13, 2002

They just gave him sideburns. It's like they weren't even trying.
    4-08-2008  10:20 PM  
 snoops
 User

Jan. 25, 2008

Looking at it; Merton reminds me of Wolverine, so it may have been some kind of easter egg for the X-men fans.
    4-08-2008  11:09 PM  
 Adam
 Webmaster

Jul. 17, 2000

I'm not sure if the change in the final season had to do with time/budget or if it was because Brandon haaaaaaaaaaaated everything associated with the make-up process. Maybe it's a combination of the two...

I hafta admit that I really didn't notice. What that says about me, I have no idea.
    4-09-2008  12:15 AM  
 Midnight_Wolf
 User

Apr. 6, 2008

I guess Merton did kinda look like wolverine... I never thought of that before

I know Brandon was allergic to spirit gum - one of the main adhesives used by makeup artists. The alternative to that is not near as effective and most or all of the hair in the first season was hand laid. They might've changed so they could just use hair pieces already put together instead of glueing them on in small clumps. That would've made it fast, but it also looks thicker and not as neat. I'm still bummed they got rid of the eyeliner and contacts
    4-09-2008  1:16 AM  
 Spooka Lupa
 User

Jun. 13, 2002

Well it's not as if eyeliner takes a long time to put on. Plus contacts, while a pain in the butt to wear sometimes, aren't very time-consuming to put in either.

Plus if time is put into the makeup it shows. Sometimes it's better to put the effort in for the best product. Plus you shouldn't take a role as a werewolf if you hate makeup, lol.
    4-09-2008  2:13 AM  
 Dildo Of Doom
 Banned!!!!!!!!!!!!

Feb. 14, 2002

Psh, could you imagine anyone else as Tommy?
    4-09-2008  3:44 AM  
 Spooka Lupa
 User

Jun. 13, 2002

No, he was very good at the role, but I'm just saying, if he didn't like makeup why did he try out for the role of a werewolf? Like, it's the main point of the show?
    4-09-2008  4:08 AM  
 Dildo Of Doom
 Banned!!!!!!!!!!!!

Feb. 14, 2002

My guess would be that he probably didn't know he didn't like the makeup until he tried it a few times. Like, he might have thought at first, "oh it just feels weird because it's new, but I'll get used to it."

That, and struggling small-time actors sometimes will take any job they can get. Even cheesy tween comedy roles.
    4-09-2008  7:46 PM  
 Midnight_Wolf
 User

Apr. 6, 2008

I know what it is like to go through that makeup process because I imitated the big wolf makeup for my beginning makeup class. It wasn't pleasant, but it wasn't that big of a deal. If you are going to play a werewolf, you just have to accept that the makeup is going to be pretty intense.

On a side note, it was pretty cool to turn myself into a werewolf with makeup
    4-09-2008  11:23 PM  
 Spooka Lupa
 User

Jun. 13, 2002

That's pretty cool. I liked Lori's wolf makeup a lot.
    4-09-2008  11:50 PM  
 Midnight_Wolf
 User

Apr. 6, 2008

Yeah, Lori's makeup wasa pretty cool. I liked it better than Princess Tristan. Lori looked wolfy, but she still looked like a girl
    4-09-2008  11:51 PM  
 Midnight_Wolf
 User

Apr. 6, 2008

Hey Lupa, are you the author of "The Series"? I'm almost done with season one and it is pretty darn good. Some of the better BWOC fan fiction out there.
    4-10-2008  12:53 AM  
 lycanthropy_mast
 User

Feb. 10, 2001

Quote:
I know Brandon was allergic to spirit gum - one of the main adhesives used by makeup artists. The alternative to that is not near as effective...

What are you talking about? Nearly all alternatives to spirit gum are better.

Spirit gum is a holdover from the old days. It's archaic, smelly, irritable, and that's why you'll find it in WalMart makeup kits around Halloween.

Spirit Gum may be a classic, but it loses its holding power with the slightest bit of sweat. Never mind being put under hot lights and performing fight choreography.

Things like liquid latex, ProsAide, and Medical Adhesive are all leaps and bounds beyond spirit gum's capabilities. More expensive, sure, but a million times better.

I used medical adhesive for this makeup:

I wore the damn thing for 12 hours, no issues with adhesive properties occurred at all.

This makeup piece was applied with spirit gum:

It came off within an hour after sweating. The only reason it didn't fall completely off my face was because the edges were sealed with latex.

I applied this makeup VERY hastily, but I used ProsAide:

Stayed on for 5 hours without problems.
    4-10-2008  1:36 AM  
 Midnight_Wolf
 User

Apr. 6, 2008

I was referring to gaf quat because it is one of the main alternatives to spirit gum for applying hair. I prefer spirit gum for applying hair. ProsAide takes longer to dry and latex gets all gummed up. Sure ProsAide, medical adhesive, and latex work the best for prosthetics, but I don't think they used those for the initial prosthetc makeup for the show. If Brandon was allergic to the adhesive, it was probably spirit gum. This show was low budget and made a while ago. Also, they were glueing stuff into his eyebrows and you can't do that with latex and I would even recommend doing it with ProsAide either because it can rip your hair out.

To clarify, I was not referring to effects makeup in general, I was referring to what it looks like they used for this show. You are right about ProsAide, Latex, and medical adhesive being better options now, but for hair, low budget, and several years ago, I don't think that is what they used.

I used prosaide and latex for this and it stayed for 12 hours.

I used prosaide and latex for this, but I used spirit gum for the hair and it also stayed for 8 hours.
    4-10-2008  2:40 AM  
 Spooka Lupa
 User

Jun. 13, 2002

All the cool makeup people come here, ha ha.

I like the vampire makeup ya used, Mightnight_Wolf. Also, yeah, I wrote The Series. The first season kinda makes me laugh now because I think I've gotten better, but if ya get to season four (the current one) I'd appreciate a review or two. Always nice when someone has the time to read through all of it. I've actually got some coherent storylines going on nowadays.
    4-10-2008  8:11 AM  
 Mar
 User

Dec. 5, 2006

Oo. Keep having your makeup discussion with pictures. I wanna see more.

Ah, The Series. I still haven't read through all of it. I should probably get around to that some time. At least one chunk of it is listed in my brain as being an actual Big Wolf episode, and I have to remind myself that "No, they didn't travel to an alternate universe where Merton was a rich guy and..."
    4-10-2008  11:08 AM  
 Spooka Lupa
 User

Jun. 13, 2002

Ha ha! If you really don't have the time to sift through all the seasons, you can try to start reading at season three episode 12, Flashback. It'll probably be a little bit confusing, but maybe you can fill in the blanks through context.
    4-13-2008  1:17 PM  
 Captain Lauren
 User

Dec. 7, 2002

Quote:
and not just a hairy guy.

I thought the same thing.