bigwolfoncampus.org | Forum | Big Wolf On Campus | Big Wolf On Campus Dvd
bigwolfoncampus.org » forum » big wolf on campus » big wolf on campus dvd

Author   Thread: Big Wolf On Campus Dvd 
    10-03-2016  6:05 AM  
 jamespoo
 User

Dec. 7, 2010

http://www.fishpond.co.nz/Movies/Big-Wolf-on-Campus-DVD-Collection-Danny-Smith/9999227659108
    10-04-2016  12:37 PM  
 Sakonosolo
 User

Oct. 4, 2016

How long has that page been up? Is there any way to check when it was added? Would be a lot more interesting if it was added recently.
 [edited by Sakonosolo on 10-05-2016 03:00 AM]
    10-07-2016  5:28 AM  
 StaticSense
 Webmaster

Jul. 6, 2010

Just your typical homemade collection, nothing that you can't make yourself. But if you want to purchase them, there are plenty of sites online offering these.
    10-07-2016  10:41 PM  
 Sakonosolo
 User

Oct. 4, 2016

Fan made collections wouldn't be any better quality than what we already have access too though. Do we even know what company(s) owns the rights to the show right now, if any? The company is was originally under went under in 2004 apparently. Was thinking of contacting Peter Knight to see if he knew anything about the license.
    10-11-2016  2:36 AM  
 StaticSense
 Webmaster

Jul. 6, 2010

From what I last heard, Cinegroupe, and Fox co-own it. I feel like this is what's holding back a dvd release. I've seen much more obscure shows get season releases, and BWOC is ranked pretty high among unreleased dvd's that people are interested in. In a lot of cases, it's usually the music rights holding back a release, but it's definitely not the case here.

I contacted Cinegroupe a few years ago, but never heard back, sadly. The best option, in my opinion, would be for companies like Shout Factory, or Mill Creek to grab the rights, and produce them. They have had great releases over the years, and many of their releases are nowhere near as popular as BWOC is. They also have great relationships within the industry.

At the end of the day, it's about money, and if there isn't enough interest, nobody will be producing them anytime soon. If there were a way to draw up some attention for the show, and somehow get it to hit some news outlets, that would definitely be a help.

I've had this fantasy for a while, about contacting Peter Knight, and asking him if he had any old scripts laying around that he wasn't able to get made, and trying to convince him (more like beg him) to use kickstarter or indiegogo to try and fund it. I strongly believe that there are enough people out there, even just for nostalgia purposes, to easily fund a new episode, or short movie. Which would hopefully draw up enough interest, for someone to consider dvd releases.

One can only dream.
    10-11-2016  7:35 PM  
 Sakonosolo
 User

Oct. 4, 2016

I've been thinking of emailing Knight and Cinegroupe but I haven't been able to find their contact info, which is weird. I'll maybe try contacting those two companies you mentioned that have released DVD's of other shows too.

And while it would be cool to have a movie maybe I think everyone by now is too old even if they would be interested in doing it. And I wouldn't want new actors.
    10-12-2016  1:23 AM  
 StaticSense
 Webmaster

Jul. 6, 2010

I actually feel the exact opposite. A majority of the cast almost look identical to what they looked like back then, they don't look like they've aged at all. And even in recent times, there was this picture posted, https://www.instagram.com/p/1i8fKtL2ln/?taken-by=thebrandonquinn.

Even more recent, Peter, in June of this year
https://twitter.com/peterknight71/status/748591298681049089

Even aimee, she's some sort of witch, still looks like a teenager. May take some convincing though, since I don't think she's acted since BWOC. But she seems to still be friendly with the guys, so who knows.

So it doesn't seem to have been forgotten, at least not from their minds. You'd be surprised at how popular the show actually is, there are still people making fanfic and everything. They're just in hiding, and waiting to pounce.
    10-12-2016  2:35 AM  
 Sakonosolo
 User

Oct. 4, 2016

I still think it would be weird if they insisted on keeping the high school setting. Maybe they could have them as adults and have that work somehow, I don't know.

And it seems Peter Knight still remembers the show considering that recent Twitter post. So that's a good thing. Maybe he could help with a DVD/bluray release.

Edit: Actually someone asked him if he had HD copies and he says he doesn't, so I guess that's out.
    10-12-2016  4:15 AM  
 StaticSense
 Webmaster

Jul. 6, 2010

Oh, of course. I didn't mean for the script to be exactly the same. It would definitely need some tweaking, and take place in the future, for sure.

As far as I know, only season 3 was "shot" in HD, but i'm sure the older episodes could be enhanced. But I'm fine with just standard dvd quality. Plus, even if he had them, he doesn't own the rights, so it's not like he'd just be able to release them to the public like that. Even if they wanted to do kickstarter or Indigogo, he'd still have to get the owners to sign off on it.
    10-12-2016  12:42 PM  
 Sakonosolo
 User

Oct. 4, 2016

Pretty sure the show was shot on film. If it was 35mm film, which is the standard for movies and probably TV shows too, it should be able to even scale up to bluray quality (or higher, I think 35mm film maxes out digitally at close to 4k, but 4k should generally work). It's just the show has never had any reason to actually be in HD because it only ever aired on TV in the early 00s I think (or in any case was never on an HD channel) and while DVD is a lot better quality than VHS and SD TV it's still not generally HD (480p or 720x576 depending on the way the DVD was made, the better quality DVD rips of BWOC I have are 702x576). But even then the few episodes that have been released on DVD are a huge jump in quality from the TV rips that are common. And if only those 5 episodes have been released on DVD they'd have to digitally transfer everything else anyway so might as well do it in the best quality you can)

I mean I'd be fine with DVD too but if it's possible I'd like bluray.

Also I emailed those two DVD companies you posted, and suggested the show for Netflix but I'd rather a physical release than just streaming. Also might tweet Peter Knight at some point about a possible limited revival.
 [edited by Sakonosolo on 10-12-2016 02:14 PM]
    10-12-2016  2:26 PM  
 StaticSense
 Webmaster

Jul. 6, 2010

Yeah, that's one thing I haven't heard. May have been super 16. I managed to find the article that I read over a decade ago,

"Big Wolf is being shot in hi-definition to air on YTV in Canada, and Fox Family in the US, as well as on various other international broadcasters."

This was referring to season 3. Here's the source, http://www.c21media.net/cinegroupe-launches-live-action-arm/.

But yeah, of course I'd want bluray, that would be amazing, but i'm being realistic. It's a much larger investment to release bluray over dvd, and these companies are all about the money, so unless there's high demand, it's not gonna happen. Even if you look around, it's rare to find an older show, that wasn't a massive hit, get a bluray release.

That's why I feel that the best bet, is to convince Shout, or Mill Creek, to get a hold of the rights. They normally buy in bulk, so they could get BWOC added is as an extra in the negotiation. It's all about time and money, and whether it's worth the hours it takes to produce the blurays, compared to the amount they would sell. If I were given the masters, i'd do it pro bono, so anything would be profit. But they gotta pay their employees.

But i'm with you man, bluray would be spectacular.
    10-12-2016  2:29 PM  
 StaticSense
 Webmaster

Jul. 6, 2010

Just read your edit. They also release blurays by the way, not just dvds.

Netflix is a great choice though. You get the show back into the public eye, as Netflix is gigantic, and based off of viewership, the decision can be made on whether or not to release physical copies.

Keep us updated.
    10-14-2016  4:29 AM  
 Sakonosolo
 User

Oct. 4, 2016

I tweeted to Peter Knight and the cast members about a possible limited series/movie revival to push for a home release. The problem is that not even he knows who owns the rights. But he's in the business and all so maybe it would be easier for him to fix that if he's serious about it.

Still haven't gotten any emails back from those companies, but I'm not sure if that's how it works or not.

I've been thinking about a possible plot too and a high school reunion could work I suppose. It would be cool to see Stacy come back and interact with everyone too and I included her actress in my tweet.

What makes me pretty excited is that Peter Knight and the cast members still mention the show occasionally pretty recently so it's still fresh on their minds even 15 or whatever years later.
    10-14-2016  2:49 PM  
 StaticSense
 Webmaster

Jul. 6, 2010

I concur. High school reunion is the perfect scenario. Age wouldn't be a factor, you can have multiple cameos, without explanation, and to cut costs, you could have the whole episode/movie take place in the school. Maybe an evil force is preventing them from leaving the school, and throughout the night, people are slowly being killed off/attacked, so they need to figure out which one of their classmates is evil, and what made them turn this way. So many possibilities.

If it turns out that Peter is actually interested in a revival, there's a good chance we could get a grant from the canadian government, maybe telefilm canada, to help with financing. They recently helped Todd And The Book Of Pure Evil with their revival.
    10-16-2016  7:20 PM  
 Sakonosolo
 User

Oct. 4, 2016

Peter Knight liked both tweets I made and him, Quinn, and Smith liked the one I tagged everyone in. Not really sure what that means but at least it means they saw them.
    10-16-2016  7:57 PM  
 StaticSense
 Webmaster

Jul. 6, 2010

Great news! It's all about planting the seed. At least they thought about it, and there's a chance they may continue to.
    10-17-2016  12:26 AM  
 Sakonosolo
 User

Oct. 4, 2016

Yep, now we just got to wait. Here are the tweets too, I realize I never linked them here if you or anyone else wanted to retweet them or do anything like that.

https://twitter.com/MosquitoMange/status/786844840302637056
https://twitter.com/MosquitoMange/status/786845404952420352

Never did get any responses from those DVD/bluray companies I emailed.
    10-17-2016  1:24 AM  
 StaticSense
 Webmaster

Jul. 6, 2010

Shout Factory used to have a forum, but it was basically flooded with requests for different shows, rather than discussion of their products, which is why I think they shut it down. So I assume the same goes for emails. They must be constantly receiving these requests, and have basically given up on responding. But, like those tweets, i'm sure they at least read the emails, which is the most important part. If they keep seeing emails with BWOC headers, maybe they'll consider it.
    10-17-2016  9:51 PM  
 kkhaos38
 User

Jan. 21, 2014

Wish this would happen.
    10-20-2016  3:44 PM  
 BlairSanne
 User

Aug. 31, 2016

I would love an official DVD or Bluray. I found CHIPPER rips on my old hard drive recently and felt like I'd hit the jackpot, haha.
    11-18-2016  9:15 AM  
 Adam
 Webmaster

Jul. 17, 2000

Things!

From what I hear, the rights for season 3 are a whole different bucket of syrup than the first two seasons, which is a complication.

The first two seasons were Super 16. Season 3 was shot natively on HD video. (Since I'm a geek about this sort of thing, that was a topic of conversation during my day on the set fifteen (!) years ago.) Even though the first two seasons were shot on film, I'd bet that all the post-production was done in standard-def. Since there's not a completed film element for each episode to scan, they'd basically have to reconstruct the show again (and upscale or redo the visual effects) to get it in high-def. Other shows have certainly done it (Seinfeld, Buffy, Star Trek: The Next Generation), but I don't think there's any real chance of that happening for Big Wolf. Maybe it'll turn out that they were forward-looking and mastering everything in HD back then, but I'd be surprised.

Here's what I wrote back in the day:

Quote:
Next, we hit one of the editing suites, where I noticed that the footage on-screen was letterboxed to 16x9. Being the film geek that I am, I asked if the series was shot on Super 16, which has become one of the formats of choice for many television shows future-proofing for HDTV and PAL Plus. I was floored to learn that this season is shot on HD video, skipping any celluloid intermediary steps entirely. Unlike most other HD series nowadays which bear that unmistakable high-contrast video appearance (Tales From The Neverending Story, to name one), Big Wolf still looks very film-like. The transition to video, apparently due in large part to Director of Photography John Dyer, was seamless, or at least seemed that way to me. Peter noted that he'd be interested in ABC Family letterboxing the series at some point. For the curious, the first two seasons were shot on Super 16, and John Dyer joined the series in its second season.

[edited by Adam on 11-18-2016 09:20 AM]
    11-18-2016  10:59 PM  
 StaticSense
 Webmaster

Jul. 6, 2010

Glad to hear you confirmed the super 16, I had a feeling that was the case. If I'm not mistaken, they butchered the buffy upscales, but the seinfeld ones turned out to be ok.

At this point, we should just hope for a dvd release, before dvd sales become obsolete, because there's no way someone is going to invest money into redoing the visual effects for a show with this niche of an audience, which sucks. From what I've seen over the years, it's usually only the mega hit shows and movies that get this treatment.

Don't get me wrong though, I'm fine with dvd release. I'd almost prefer that over a crappy upscaled version that may, or may not, turn out to be good. I think with the way things are moving, our best hope is probably going to be some streaming service. whether it be netflix, or on-demand cable providers.
    12-09-2016  3:40 AM  
 Sakonosolo
 User

Oct. 4, 2016

So the third season would be fine for bluray then because it was shot digitally right? It's just the first two seasons that might have issues depending on how they did the effects? I'm also fine with just DVD as the few episodes that have been released on DVD are already miles better than the TV rips available for everything else but I still think bluray would be better if it's possible to do.

And like I said before, even though it only used 16mm film that should scale up fine to 1080p if we ignore that potential issue with the effects.

Either way, I would be happy with any home release at all since it would be better than what is available on the internet right now.
    12-09-2016  6:09 PM  
 Adam
 Webmaster

Jul. 17, 2000

Quote:
So the third season would be fine for bluray then because it was shot digitally right?

Specifically because it was shot digitally in high definition, but yeah.

Quote:
And like I said before, even though it only used 16mm film that should scale up fine to 1080p if we ignore that potential issue with the effects.

Well, the thing is that the completed episodes don't exist on 16mm.

I mean, you can go back to a TV show like Lost in Space or even Miami Vice and rescan those episodes in HD because they were finished on film. Big Wolf wouldn't have been. (That mostly came to an end in the mid-to-late '80s; aside from hour long dramas and a few colossally successful sitcoms, standard practice was to shoot on film, edit on SD video, and...well, you're done. The tools for editing evolved, but film after that point was never really involved beyond the initial acquisition.)

While there are still raw film elements that could be rescanned, there isn't a 24 minute episode of "Butch Comes to Shove" archived on 16mm somewhere. For a true HD remaster, you'd have to rescan the raw elements: everything that was shot, regardless of whether or not it actually made it into the final episode. From there, you'd reconstruct each episode, shot by shot, as well as redoing all of the visual effects.

It's been done before, even for shows like Freaks and Geeks that weren't exactly off-the-charts popular, and there are tools like iConform to ease the process of finding the right moments in that mountain of raw footage, but it's hard to imagine that cost and effort being put towards Big Wolf.

I mean, it's not entirely impossible that Big Wolf had an HD workflow from the start (although the effects almost certainly would've still been done in SD), but I didn't get that impression from my day up there.
 [edited by Adam on 12-09-2016 08:37 PM]
    12-19-2016  1:27 AM  
 Spooka Lupa
 User

Jun. 13, 2002

I'm learning so much about the technical side of it, this is fascinating stuff.