bigwolfoncampus.org | Forum | Big Wolf On Campus | Peter Knight talks Big Wolf on the Mr.TV podcast
bigwolfoncampus.org » forum » big wolf on campus » peter knight talks big wolf on the mr.tv podcast

Author   Thread: Peter Knight talks Big Wolf on the Mr.TV podcast 
    7-07-2021  8:08 PM  
 Adam
 Webmaster

Jul. 17, 2000

I have not had a chance to listen yet, but:

https://mrtelevision.podbean.com/e/ep-13-big-wolf-on-campus-with-peter-a-knight/
    7-10-2021  1:19 AM  
 StaticSense
 Webmaster

Jul. 6, 2010

Great interview, i'm sure you'll be pleasantly surprised. Some very great shout outs in there as well, which I won't spoil.

We learned a lot of great things from it actually, but most importantly, near the very end, where Peter claims that he, along with Chris Briggs, may actually own the rights to the shows characters, and title, which is essentially like owning the show itself.

Even claims that he's open to a reboot, and would hop at the chance in a second.

Now, time for my worthless opinion...

Unless it's going to be a one-off, like a fun movie, and includes all the key characters, don't do it. Not that I don't trust Peter, because he obviously wrote and created this great show, but because some things are better left alone, in order to keep it's legacy intact. We've seen too many reboots, and revivals, completely destroy fan bases, simply because you can't please everyone, and expectations are too high.

Fans tend to just want more of "old", but studios seem to always want new and fresh, which ultimately kills these projects, especially when your core audience is built around nostalgia.

My perfect world would be to just have a one-off, fun movie, lots of callbacks to old jokes, bring back as many old characters as you can, let us see all of these actors 20 years later. Just make it super fun. Same "cheesy" effects, same one-liners, same music. Make it as if the show never ended. Stick with the single-cam, and not a super-produced look.

I doubt Peter will ever read this, but If he actually wants to get this gone, there are definite ways in Canada to make it happen. A few years ago, Andrew Rosen wanted to revive his show, "Todd and the book of pure evil", and set up an indiegogo campaign. Raised a nice chunk of funds, and due to the success of the campaign, it attracted several other smaller investors, along with the Canada Media Fund (I think it was), and they ended up successfully getting it done, and it was great.

Create one of these crowdfunding campaigns, have some nice perks like dvd's/blurays of the final product, t-shirts, all of these awesome things, and you'd be surprised how many BWOC fans it would attract; there are a lot out there. Due to the popularity, you'll get some bonus financing from some smaller investors, and you'll be able to create this passion project on your own, without having to follow any ridiculous network demands. It will involve a lot of extra work, but if he's not in it for the money, and just wants to revive the show for the fans (which is sounds like he does), it can definitely be done, and there would be a lot of people willing to help with the campaign, and spread the word.
    7-15-2021  1:22 PM  
 Adam
 Webmaster

Jul. 17, 2000

I just finished listening! (Sorry it took so long -- one of those weeks.)

I really enjoyed the podcast -- and not just because of the kind words about me and the site! -- especially since the overwhelming majority of what they talked about was news to me. It definitely gives me an itch to start diving into Encore Plus' YouTube collection. I've meant to dig back into the show from the instant Encore started uploading 'em, but I'm so perpetually backlogged when it comes to TV/movies that I haven't had a chance quite yet.

I'm not all that keen on revivals in general, but I'd give Big Wolf a shot in another form. Orienting it around Tommy's daughter could be fun, since it'd have the freedom to be its own thing while still potentially recapturing some of the magic of the original series. And I'd certainly be onboard with a comic book or something along those lines, where the cast can remain ageless, the special effects budget is basically infinite, and all that.

And I'd totally contribute to any Indiegogo/Kickstarter/whatever that might involve a home video release.
    7-15-2021  11:09 PM  
 StaticSense
 Webmaster

Jul. 6, 2010

Haha, i'm actually in the process of a rewatch right now. I was waiting for Encore+ to upload the entire series first, before I started. Word of warning, they've been posted in production order, rather than the "proper" order. So for example, in season two, there will be episodes where Lori already knows about Tommy, BEFORE you reach "The girl who spied wolf".

My issue is more about "why?". To me, BWOC is Tommy, Merton, and Lori; that's the show. Why can't a story stay a story? If you're only going to use an IP to piggyback off of it's name recognition, and alter everything about it in the process, why not just come up with your own show instead? Something completely original. I guess I answered this myself though, it's because of the popularity of the property, but 99% of these revivals end up failing because these studios don't understand that the only reason why these projects became popular, was due to how good the original series was. The IP is nothing without the series. But they think the opposite way, they think the IP is the valuable part, rather than the show itself.

As for a comic book, or even an animated series/movie, yeah, i'd be cool with that. I can't speak for everybody in the fan base, but I would just love to see more adventures based on the characters that made this show what it was. Those are the characters that I love. If you're going to remove them, or replace them, then it's no longer BWOC.

It's not like there's no story left to tell with these characters either, the episode concepts are endless. We could easily continue off exactly where we left off. Throw them in college for a few years, the actors have aged quite well, and can easily pull off a college-student look.
    8-12-2021  4:46 PM  
 merton_is_hott
 User

Jun. 5, 2002

Thanks for sharing, Adam! Exited to listen
    8-16-2021  6:57 PM  
 merton_is_hott
 User

Jun. 5, 2002

Had to post my thoughts - I thought it was really good! So nice to hear Adam and Lupa get a shout out. Now I think I'm going to have to dig into the show again. So many memories from this place...